Natural Gas Safety

Natural Energy Utility Corporation’s main objective is to supply our customers with natural gas and ensure their safety. Our employees work earnestly to maintain our pipelines by performing inspections, marking lines, patrolling, pressure monitoring and odorizations. Because natural gas is colorless, tasteless and odorless, a harmless product called Mercaptan is added to give natural gas a scent of “rotten eggs”. This makes it easier to detect in case of a leak.

  • To protect your family in your home, follow these safety steps:
  • Have appliances installed, serviced and repaired by a qualified technician.
  • Follow the directions on the appliance for lighting a pilot light.
  • Keep your chimney flue and vents for appliances clean and in good condition.
  • Appliances and heating equipment areas should be free of paper, debris, and flammable materials.
  • Do not use an oven or range as a heating device for your home.
  • During cold weather, clear excess snow and ice carefully from natural gas equipment and appliance exhaust vents using a broom or your hands instead of a shovel or sharp instrument

Another way to protect your family is to recognize signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide can come from any source that burns fuel such as cars, fireplaces, woodstoves, kerosene space heaters, charcoal grills and gas appliances. Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache.
  • Dizziness.
  • Nausea.

As carbon monoxide builds up in your blood, symptoms get worse and may include:

  • Confusion and drowsiness.
  • Fast breathing, fast heartbeat or chest pain.
  • Vision problems.
  • Seizures.

If you have symptoms that you think could be carbon monoxide poisoning, leave the area right away, and call 911 or go to the emergency room.

It is important to recognize the signs of a possible gas leak such as:

  • An odor like rotten eggs.
  • Patches of dead vegetation or grass.
  • A hissing, whistling or roaring sound near a gas appliance or pipeline.
  • Dirt or debris being blown into the air.
  • Bubbles in streams, ponds or wet areas.
  • Fire coming out of a hole or on top of the ground.

If a leak occurs:

  • Leave the area immediately.
  • Warn others to stay away.
  • From a safe place, call 911, and then call Natural Energy Utility Corporation at 606-324-3920. We have a field technician on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays.

If you suspect a gas leak:

  • Do not turn natural gas valves on or off!
  • Do not smoke, use a lighter or strike a match!
  • Do not use any electric switch, telephone or cell phone, garage door opener or    flashlight as they can cause sparks and ignite gas!
  • Do not start or stop vehicles or machinery that may spark!